Deter deer from eating your landscape and patio plants with a few tips. Deer learn quickly and it is best to change up your tactics every once in awhile to keep them guessing.
• Hang Irish Spring or Cashmere Bouquet soap in fruit trees and trees not on the Deer Resistant Plant List.
• Fertilize lawns and perennial shrub borders with Milorganite – it lasts 1-2 weeks.
• Repellents: spread blood based Plantskyyd (pelletized or spray) on and around landscape.
• Oil based repellents: garlic, clove, cinnamon, putresant eggs. Re-apply every 2-4 weeks during growing season, every 2 months November – March.
• Everguard and Repels All.
• Fishing line fence strung double layered on stakes around the garden, at hip height.
• Motion detector Scarecrows attached to a water hose, HavaHart has a new one. * ‘Look for motion detectors with infared sensors. Models without sensors only work during the day. Taller sprinklers work better than shorter types, in my experience, as the sensor isn’t tricked by moving foliage and the water jet shoots out above plant tops. Battery-powered motion-activated sprinklers over solar powered types that don’t seem to emit as hard a burst of water.’ *model tips from Savvy Gardening