Fall is the best time for lawn care because it offers warm days, cold nights, and dewy conditions. Here’s how to love your lawn this fall and rejuvenate your grass:
- Test Your Soil with an easy-to-use kit. The best time to apply lime is during the fall to give it enough time to change the soil pH by next spring.
- Aerate your soil to alleviate compaction, improve water and nutrient movement in the soil, and encourage root growth.
- Top dress new or existing lawns with loam, compost, or Black Earth (Monhegan) Soil. Use our online bulk calculator, to determine how much you’ll need, and we can even deliver in bulk right to your driveway.
- Sow high-quality seed blends with a high germination rate and a mix of grass types that will succeed in your region’s cool and warm seasons. We like Maine Mixes’ Conservation Blend which requires less watering and fertilizing once established.
- Feed your soil with North Country Organics’ ProGro fertilizer. Can also be used on on lawns, trees, and perennials.
- Use Lucerne Hay for blanketing newly sown grass seed. High in Nitrogen, it will decompose over the winter and feed your soil just what it needs.